Three Day Coconut Cake

Happy Easter!  Although it continues to be a rainy, muddy mess outside my window I am relishing in the deep greens and beautiful buds this weather has ushered in for our enjoyment.  I'm also feeling a bit of childhood excitement brewing up inside me knowing that my baby boy will be partaking in his first Easter Egg Hunt this afternoon courtesy of my sister (thanks, M!).  Even the rain can't put a damper on egg hunt fun.  I hope that you as well are managing to make the most of this Easter weekend despite the forecast.

I suppose if I was on top of my game I would have posted this recipe for the Three Day Coconut Cake at least three days in advance of Easter to give you the chance to savor it for the holiday.  Whoops!  However, I will make the promise that this easy recipe is sure to deliver if you make it for any other spring or summer occasions.  The secret to this recipe is to leave it in the refrigerator for three days before serving.  Coconut and cool whip aside that little instruction (make 3 days in advance!) is the best part of this whole recipe. I am always a get it done early kind of girl and this cake speaks directly to that need in me.  Although we won't be serving up the Coconut Cake until this afternoon, I'm hoping that it will elicit the same rave reviews that it received a few weeks back at a bridal shower (and if it doesn't I'll be sure to update this post with a big DO NOT EAT THIS CAKE warning within the next 3 days so that I'm sure to catch anyone who currently has it in the works!). 

This is only the second layered cake I've made and I was trying to put the layers together and ice while an 18 month old was tugging at my leg.  I assure you - yours will look much prettier!

THREE DAY COCONUT CAKE
14 oz.     shredded coconut
2 c.          sour cream
2 c.          granulated sugar
8 oz.        container of Cool Whip defrosted
1 box       yellow butter recipe cake mix

Bake cake according to package directions.  Split each layer in 2 – so you now have 4 layers.

Frosting:  Mix 2c. coconut with 2c. sour cream and 2c. sugar.  This is the filling mixture and will not look like a frosting  -- much thinner.  You can be very generous with the amount you put on each layer.

When you have filled and stacked all the layers you are ready to make the final frosting by adding the entire container of defrosted Cool Whip to the filling mixture.  Frost sides and top of cake with frosting.  Use the remaining coconut to cover the top and sides of the frosted cake.

Place in the frig for 3 days before you eat your first slice.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. As one of the lucky ones to share this cake, I can assure you that it was awesome! Looking at the recipe, it appears fairly easy to make if one plans ahead. I am looking forward to sharing it this summer with friends and family.
    Thanks for sharing, Janie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that looks good. And pretty too!

    ReplyDelete