Any Season, Other than Winter

This time of year I wish for any season other than Winter.  I have my heart set on Spring.  However, the 50 degree temps, brisk winds, and leaf barren trees have skipped my mind months ahead to Autumn. 

September through November is my favorite time of year.  Warm sweaters; no need for jackets.  Leaves turning shades of gold and crimson. Pumpkins and mums adorning the porch.  Apple picking.

Since there isn't an apple bearing tree to be found in all of Ohio this time of year I have turned to a new favorite of mine, apple butter,  in the spirit of a season other than Winter.



Apple butter in all of it's dark gooey-ness is a wonderful treat year round and it's rich flavor far outweighs the taste of processed jam and jelly.  Tap'n Apple has less than half the calories and almost a third of the sugars in comparison to an equivalent serving of Welches Jelly.  It tastes delicious on a waffle for breakfast, makes for a tasty afternoon snack on toast, and thankfully apple butter can turn my picky protein eater into a ravenous bear when spread on a piece of chicken or added to a turkey sandwich.

I'm learning that homemade apple butter is very manageable even for the kitchen challenged like myself.  Maybe this Autumn I will muster up the courage to turn a few of my hand-picked apples into something other then pie.  Fortunately, I will have Spring and Summer to talk myself out of that idea.  As delicious as apple butter is - it certainly is not pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment