Couponing 102

I'm guessing you are proficient in Couponing 101.  Purchase Sunday Newspaper, cut coupon out, use said coupon at grocery checkout, save money.  Easy enough, right?

Well, I would like to introduce you to Couponing 102. Otherwise known as Janie's version of The Price Is Right and a very simple way to find great deals without a lot of effort.  I used to be like everyone else who used the occasional coupon at the check out for an item I was buying anyway.  Then I got married, had a baby, and became a stay at home mom.  Wow, did the value of a dollar ever change.  I've yet to become one of those obsessive couponers (I have seen people at the grocery with binders full of coupons!), but I have found that a little bit of effort can go a long way at the cash register.  Below are a few tips that have saved me $100's over the last year and in turn offered me the opportunity to have a few guiltless splurges when the need arises (hello $150 boots, how I've longed for you!).

How To Make The Price Right
  • Drug Mart (Columbus) sells the Sunday Newspaper for 99 cents.  I always buy two papers so I have double the coupons.
  • Most coupons are best served at stores where coupons (up to 99 cents) can be doubled.  These stores include: Meijer, Giant Eagle, Kroger. These stores will also accept and double up to two identical coupons.  So if you find a great deal you can get it twice!
  • Some great deals can be found on cosmetics and toiletries at CVS when you use your newspaper coupon, CVS offer (buy one get one, etc.), and your Extra Care bucks. CVS negative - they don't double newspaper coupons.
  • Don't forget to check the grocery store's website for Digital Coupons.  These load directly to your store's rewards card.  Kroger's digital coupons seem to be the best and currently they allow you to use a digital coupon and a newspaper coupon on the same item. And remember, that newspaper coupon can be doubled if it's face value is under 99 cents.
  • Review the weekly adds and match coupons to the grocery store that has the best deals. Shop there that week, or throw a cooler in your car and stop by the 2 stores that have the best deals in conjunction with your coupons.
  • Buy items when they are on sale and you have a coupon, not when you need them. I have a stash of toothpaste, toothbrushes, hand soap, and much more that I got for free or paid pennies for!  I also load up on paper products when it is a good price.
  • If there is an item that you use regularly that you don't have a coupon for then check the internet.  There are many great coupon sites (couponmom.com, or the manufacturers website) were you might be able to find a coupon for that item you regularly buy that is never on sale.
Examples of when The Price Was Right

Colgate Toothpaste - on sale for 99 cents
Newspaper Coupon - 75 cents
Doubled Coupon - 24 cents (coupon is only doubled up to the price of the product)
Free item!

Charmin TP (12 double rolls) - on sale for $5.99
Digital Coupon - $3.00
Newspaper Coupon - 50 cents
Doubled Coupon - 50 cents
$1.99!

CVS - Purex 3in1 Laundry Detergent/Softner/Dryer Sheet - on sale for $3.99 (regularly $9.29)
Newspaper Coupon - $3.00
I had an Extra Buck reward from a previous purchase - $1
Free item!

Needless to say, these prices are very, very right!  Over the week I encourage you to find one item that you can purchase for free or for pennies.  It only takes finding one great deal to feel the rush of victory and ignite the fire to try again ("take this manufacturers...I can get your stuff for free!").  What is that old adage...a dollar saved is a dollar earned?  Sounds good to me and I would just add with a bit more detail that a dollar saved on toilet paper is a dollar earned towards something much prettier!

More useful  couponing ideas as well as internet coupons are available at http://www.couponmom.com/ .

1 comment:

  1. Frugal Mimi always enjoys a deal. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete